Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Learning about Me

Hey everyone!

Tonight, my roommate and I took a personality test online. Click here!

I've been continually struggling with my major and future career choices. I am a worrier, so not knowing what my next step should be is particularly terrifying. And, as the semester comes to a close, we are required to pick classes for next semester. I have juggled majors quite often over the last few months.

I decided today to actually utilize one of our few free on campus resources: Calling and Career Center. They advised me to take a couple of career assessments. Not that they were unhelpful, but the tests were not especially satisfying in their results. I wasn't guided into a career like I hoped I would be.
I guess it's a problem to expect a simple online test to simply say "Tah Dah! Here's your perfect career choice!".

Another thing I'm discovering that college preparation is lacking is an aspect of involvement in choosing a major. Most people I know just pick something. Nothing particular is done in order to make sure students are actively looking into their personal strengths.
Our college makes us take a strengths finder test. But, nothing is stressed after that for each student. I know it would be asking a lot to make time to meet with each incoming Freshman. But I think that for students that come into college without knowing what exactly they want to study, it would be beneficial to see what they are particularly talented in.

After taking to my roommate, an advisor, and my mom, I realized that I really do have an interest in English. I realized that my Strengths would work in an English degree.
It's important that students have a knowledge of their talents. More so than needing to have an idea of a major when they step foot on campus, students need to realize they have talents in them naturally. They've been conditioned to think they just have to make a decision.

Everyone has a natural talent and skill set that prepares them for a specific purpose. I think more students should spend time trying to learn about themselves before deciding on a career for the rest of their lives.

Ok, end of scattered thoughts.
Thanks for reading my crazy, scrambled, ideas!

Sincerely, Paige

1 comment:

  1. i wholeheartedly agree! and i'm so happy to hear that you are leaning towards english. you have so many talents, and are a smart beautiful best friend, so i know that no matter what you end up doing, you will find ways to show people just how talented and wonderful you really are! this is a really sappy comment, but just thought i would encourage you to enjoy the journey at worry less about the destination, as that's what my personality test told me i do :P love you, roomie!!

    ReplyDelete